Welcome welcome! Anyone else LOVING the warmer weather? YAAAAS. Anyone hating it? You can leave now (jk jk). This week we are talking about a couple hair care tips to help if you color your hair or just had a recent color change (like myself). Right after I got my hair color totally changed I knew I needed to do a blog post on this because my hair already looked and felt different and I wanted it to look awesome, not dry and crunchy and breaking off and split ends....all that good stuff.
So here's a couple tips for you if you color your hair, see if any of these things help you 1. maintain your color longer 2. help you hair feel healthy
1. First up, the color you use on your hair DOES matter. Meaning, box dyes and drugstore color is going to be harder on your hair than professional color that your hairstylist uses. Not throwing shade on anyone who colors their hair at home or touches those roots up with Clariol, but jus sayin', it makes a difference.
2. You've probably heard me say it before, because I'm a dry shampoo junkie, but washing your hair LESS will help your color stay in and help keep your hair healthier. The more you wash your hair, the more chances the color has to escape. Plus, keeping those natural oils on your scalp helps your hair and your color!
3. Make sure you are using a good shampoo!! This means a higher quality, color care shampoo. If you aren't sure what to use, ask your stylist to recommend something for you. Fo example, if you are looking to achieve an icy blonde, a purple shampoo may be the best route for you! Check with your stylist! Be sure to avoid a shampoo with sulfates -- this can be damaging to your brand new color.
4. I know this step is something you may not want to hear (myself included), but using heat on your hair, especially after a color, can be damaging. Even if you can't stop using heat on your hair completely, turn the temperature DOWN on your curling iron, flat iron, or curling wand, and turn your blow dryer to the cool setting to help you hair out!
5. Products, products, products! After your stylist colors your hair, the rest is up to YOU! Watch what you are putting on your hair. Be sure you are using some kind of conditioning treatment to protect your hair from the elements, heat, tangling and other damage. An oil or other leave-in treatment can be great to use on your hair in between washes. They can help strengthen the hair and return moisture to the strands.
I am currently using the Monat Rejuvabeads as well as the Monat Restore Leave-In Conditioner to help restore shine and softness to my hair after my color.
Boom. Do you do any of these things to help you hair stay healthy? Let me know what products you like to use to help your hair recover and stay healthy, and I'll see you next week!